Friday, January 16, 2009

Greetings from New Delhi

This trip is already so awesome and crazy! Greetings and love from New Delhi. I'm safe and exhausted and excited and sweaty. I brought many clothes in preparation for the climate up in Dharamsala, but here it's about 70! There are monkeys, dogs, and dust EVERYWHERE! I like it here even though my eyes are burning and I'm jet lagged as well. I like the way that life and death and everything in between are right out in the open instead of hiding where you can't see them. Children chase foreigners like us in the street and say "hello...chocolate?...hello." The cars honk continuously as an announcement of their presence rather than an assault or warning. Corpses burn on street corners at night and there has been a continuous haze over everything since we've been here. We just got back from a trip to a Sikh temple, lunch in a market alley store, and a Hindu shrine. Grey buildings make the bright sariis and flowers littering one's field of vision all the more vivid. We'll be here for 3 days and then we go north to an Indian village and then further north to Dharamsala to the Sarah (pronounced Sah-rah) campus where we'll be starting school and settling down for 6 weeks. I've gotta run now. We're running out to go check out Old Delhi.

Blessings,
Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment